Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fajitas - Indian Style



Aren't they days when you get up and feel like eating something yummy and cheezy for breakfast? And days when you are bored of eating eggs, pohas, upmas or what not for breakfast? Well this is for those days when you want to treat yourself without being too self-indulgent... and it's all put together in 5 mins with a few leftovers from last night's meal.
Since I am travelling to Mumbai in a couple of days I have been restraining myself from buying too many groceries since the weather in Delhi is not conducive to storing much even in the fridge (since the light goes all the time)! So when my husband said he wanted something 'light' and yummy for breakfast and was leaving in 15 mins and my son was in my lap demanding attention I asked my help if I had any veggies to make a veg chutney sandwich (Mumbai roadside food style...) but she said I didn't have anything much in the fridge. So, I rushed to the kitchen to see what I did have and saw some of last night roti's, left over salad, a few of my pasta sauces and cheeze and it suddenly all came together.
I took two rotis (indian flatbread) - on one side I spread some pasta sauce (Loyd Grossman's Tomato Chilli) and on the other one I spread a generous helping of pesto). I added a sprinkling of cheeze (my husband loves Amul cheeze but you can go with anything healthy or a bit of sharp cheddar), lemon squeezed diced tomatoes and onions from last night's salad and a dash of oregano and paprika. I then just closed them together like a sandwhich and toasted them on a non-stick pan in a bit of olive oil. And voila, my fajitas were ready!!!! They definitely tasted yummy coz before I could get a picture of my husband's fajita he had wolfed his down. I left mine on the gas too long since I was seeing him off and like you can see in the pics mine got a little burned.
This is such an easy to put together recipe that it can be used as appetizers or for brunch on a weekend if you want (and can add shreaded chicken, ham or salami bits to make it more sumptous). Instead of roti's you can use anything you favour naan, whole wheat fajita's etc. You can also experiment with the sauces and try anything you have at home - green chutney, chilli sauce, cheeze spread or what not. I used tomatoes and onions coz thats what I had - you can also add capsicum - red, green, yellow the more (color) the merrier! And this takes minutes to put together.
I have to end this post a little abrubtly since I can hear my son yelling for me in the background!

2 comments:

Rahul Bhatnagar said...

Vegan Fajitas

"This is a wonderful meatless version of traditional fajitas! It can be prepared in advance, or right away."

PREP TIME: 20 Minutes
COOK TIME: 20 Minutes
READY IN: 1 Hour

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition*)

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
garlic salt to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon white sugar
2 small zucchini, julienned
2 medium small yellow squash, julienned
1 large onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl combine olive oil, vinegar, oregano, chili powder, garlic salt, salt, pepper and sugar.
To the marinate add the zucchini, yellow squash, onion, green pepper and red pepper.
Marinate vegetables in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but not more than 24 hours.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Drain the vegetables and saute until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir in the corn and beans; increase the heat to high for 5 minutes, to brown vegetables.

* Nutritional Information
Vegan Fajitas
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 262
Total Fat: 14.6g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 544mg
Total Carbs: 29.5g
Dietary Fiber:8.6g
Protein: 7.2g

FOOTNOTE

The nutrition data for this recipe includes information for the full amount of the marinade ingredients. Depending on marinating time, ingredients, cooking method, etc., the actual amount of the marinade consumed will vary.

Source: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Fajitas/Detail.aspx

Rahul Bhatnagar said...

Hey guys, hope you liked my recipe too... :-)