Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mango Pancakes - it's raining Mangoes!



A Double Post... coz I am finally back - was feeling really lost without my laptop and have been waiting to blog for the last few days...

Summer is here and there is an abundance of fruit everywhere. India is known for it's yummilicious mangoes in the summer and you have over a 100 varieties available in the country. If I am obsessed about baking and cooking with strawberries my love for Mangoes cannot be left far behind. I have grown up on  staple diet of luscious orangey Alphonso Mangoes and just can't resist picking up some when I am at a fruit vendors. Previously, I did the following Mango posts Mango Cream Cake , Mango Shrikhand,  Mango Yogurt Mousse , Mango Panna , Mangoes & Cream Ice cream .

Now, I landed up with a batch of not so sweet mangoes and wanted to do something different with them... the morning was rainy, I had my cuppa coffee in my hand and was standing in the balcony (Delhi / Gurgaon has been having weird weather the past week), reminiscing about similar weather in Koh Samui a couple of years back and how I was stuffing my face with some Mango Pancakes. Now, I could really stuff a number of panckes into my mouth at that time 'coz I was a couple of months pregnant and that totally gave me the license to eat my heart out!

Anyways, coming back to the pancakes... I wanted to put together something easy in a jiffy with the ingredients I had on hand and was googling around for an easy recipe but didn't find any so put together mine after reading a ton of them!

Ingredients:

1 up all purpose flour
3/4 cup milk & a little more incase your batter lacks the consistency of regular pancakes
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 mango chopped into small bite sized pieces

I mixed all the ingredients, except the mangoes, for the pancake batter and let it sit on the counter for a couple about 30 minutes. As you can see from my pictures my mangoes pieces were chunks rather than bite sized and I added them to the batter when I poured it into my non-stick. The flavour was yummy! I sprinkled some powdered sugar on them and enjoyed them with a bit of honey but the rest of the family doused them with the eternal favorite Maple Syrup. I am guessing mango essence instead of vanilla essence can also be tried but they had a pretty nice mango-ey flavor to them!


I also wanted to submit this post for Healing Foods - Mango being hosted this month by the talented Reva from Kaarasaaram. Healing Food is the brain child of Cooking with Siri - a young working girl and part-time blogger! She has an amazing collection of recipes and better pictures to match so do hop on over to her blog to catch up on some great recipes.


I am so happy with the feedback that I have received for this recipe... that it has literally left me beaming! I am going to submit this post to the Breakfast Club. Krithi from http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
 has been kind enough to let me submit this post to the Breakfast Club #10 that she is guest hosting. It is originally hosted by  Helen from  Fuss Free Flavours, both really great blogs that I have discovered! I am so glad to be able to discover such great blogs with awesome recipes and pictures!

6 comments:

Reva said...

Hi, Love the idea of mangoes in pancake... it is truly amazing.. Thanks for sending it for the event... Glad I could visit your blog and follow u.. amazing space that u have..great work:)
Reva
ww.kaarasaaram.com

Reva said...

Hi, this is just a suggestion.. U can send this recipe to 'Kirthis kitchen' where Kirthi is guest hosting "Breakfast Club" which has pancakes as the theme.... It is just a suggeston dear..:)

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/03/guest-hosting-breakfast-club-10-theme.html

Take care,
Reva

Ruchi M said...

Thank you for the compliment Reva. It truly does taste fresh and yummy!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I am so excited to find this recipe. I just made a recipe with mango and I had bought 2 mangoes. As it turned out, I only needed one. This is the perfect recipe to use the other one up and have yummy pancakes. Thanks for posting this.

Ruchi M said...

Hope it comes out yummy like ours did! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

KrithisKitchen said...

This looks sooper-awesome and lovely. You could send to my pancakes event, just update with the event announcement and logo...

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Breakfast Club - Pancakes